Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hope

Yesterday I saw a man, a prominent person in our community with great talent and equally great humility. He was just diagnosed with a serious illness. I wanted to tell him, "You're going to be alright." I didn't. I quietly prayed for him and continued knitting with my friends. I was aware of the acute suffering he and his family will endure as they walk this path. The community at large is also affected, expressing compassion and concern. But I sensed a spirit of peace in his presence.

Today someone spoke to me about an offense and as we shared, the hidden purpose of darkness became clearer. Like the body is shaped in the womb, void of light, the soul is also shaped in the darkness of circumstances. Events mesh and fuse, exposing us to principles and spiritual truth, just like the DNA in the cells mesh and fuse to form a new life. All this is happening in creation, both physical and spiritual life. This dance of darkness and light bubbles with joy in my heart because I realize I am not intimidated in the same ways I once was by the darkness.

In no way do I intend to marginalize anyone's suffering and when I am suffering, I surely do not see as objectively. But I am aware of a separation of attachment to circumstances.

In light of these events, I thought about the Promised Land and how surprised the disciples may have been when they found themselves humbled at the foot of the cross witnessing death as opposed to glory and honor on a throne. Jesus knew the darkness he would endure and went willingly - despising death, but enduring it nevertheless. He experienced humiliation of a most cruel and demeaning form.

But on the other side of that suffering, eternal life and glory was revealed.

The darkness is of no consequence to the light, but it serves in creating new life. The darkness we endure and suffer in creation is part of the perfect means for shaping us into God's likeness. I am in awe at how He bends and molds us while He remains hidden in the darkness.

My hope is renewed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment