Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Impressions

My first post is dedicated to our daughter Sarah as it was her encouragement that set me on this path of blogging.

IMPRESSIONS

There's a degree of comfort in knowing that my impressions aren't always accurate and that I can wait on the Lord to guide our steps.

Paul says in Ephesians 5:15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Recently, our daughter Sarah, with her husband and family, celebrated her conversion to Judaism at KAM Isaiah Israel Synagogue in Chicago. Her daughter Simone's Hebrew baby naming was held the same evening. The ceremony was very joyful and loving as Sarah and Simone were welcomed into the congregation.

It was my first visit to a Jewish Synagogue. Before the event, I felt apprehensive not knowing what to expect. In spite of the doubt, I also felt encouraged to trust the Lord for our daughter's faith. I decided to focus on the trust and let go of the worry. Peace enveloped me. It was the right choice.

When Sarah began her path of conversion, it felt like a rejection of our Christian faith and traditions. As her family, we were presented with opportunities for acceptance or rejection, love or judgment. The experience of her conversion has caused all of her family to stretch in our understanding of what it means to love and what love requires of those who seek it.

Yes, the days are evil, as Paul stated, and I don't always make the most of every opportunity by wisely choosing the path of love and acceptance. But I thank God for His Holy Spirit who comforts me in moments of uncertainty.

I am happy to say that my initial impressions of doubt were wrong and I left the Synagogue that night with a heart filled with joy for the love of God and family. It was a blessing to share in the intimacy of Sarah and Simone's special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment