Sunday, January 27, 2008

Perfect Love

One moment changed my perspective of life. In that moment, peace, well-being, incredible love enveloped me. Like many things that cannot be communicated but must be experienced, this was such an event.

In one stride, my perception forever altered. There was an awareness, a presence of something apart from myself and the most perfect expression of love I have ever known. An ordinary day, I hadn’t been seeking anything spiritual or praying or asking God for anything. I simply walked from one room to another…and voila`.

When immersed in this presence, I felt as if my soul was suddenly drenched in perfect love. Imagine being submerged in a swimming pool, the water refreshing and cleansing. You are aware of its buoyancy, texture, and engulfing presence. It was like that but the sensation was within. I have never experienced anything like it before or since. Nothing was required of me. It was matter-of-fact, tranquil and familiar, a state of being in which I completely relaxed and breathed.

All tension, anxiousness, distractions of the day and life, floated away. I recalled an event that was hurtful to me many years ago and in that state of being, it no longer hurt. When I say there was no longer judgment from me toward the one who hurt me, I mean there was nothing. The pain was gone and didn't cling to the offender either. It was as if the transgression had never occurred.

In an unexpected moment, I had first hand experience that in Him there is no judgment. I was aware that my sinful nature does not affect His love for me and that His love surpasses anything I or anyone else could do. Like calming the raging storm, judgment literally dissipates in the presence of Perfect Love - gone with no effort or lasting effects whatsoever.

It’s been a while since that day. Though my desire was to remain in that pool of bliss, life quickly returned to normal. I don’t strive to recreate the event but sometimes when I get frustrated with myself, others, or circumstances, I know that in His presence perfect love reigns. I am comforted by that knowledge, but there is nothing that compares to experiencing the reality of His presence and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment