Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gratitude

I just watched a video of two teenage girls in Florida who were caught after stealing Girl Scout-cookie-sales-money from a 9-year-old girl. The teens show no remorse for their actions and are quite vocal about how "pissed" they are to have been caught.

My natural reaction to the unrepentant girls is one of judgment and revulsion at their blatant insolence. Adding further to the incident, the authorities said the teens weren't charged because they didn't use force or take the money directly out of the young girl's hands.

"Say what!?...there's a formula to follow to actually be held accountable?!?"

"Yes, you would have to use force or take it out of her hands or it doesn't count as stealing."

"The money is gone but apparently not chargeably stolen." **My hands and eyebrows raise in bewilderment**

Calming down and further reflecting on my response to the incident, I realize God loves the unrepentant teens as much as He loves the innocent victim. The spiritual merciful response is quite different from the natural judmental one to which I have been accustomed.

Reflecting on the teen's actions and the local authorities' interpretation of the law, I can only say I am thankful that God is the final authority and not me. Gratitude doesn't begin to define my appreciation to Him for His grace toward me when I am misguided, unrepentant, or insolent.

Therein, for me, is good and evil defined. His grace covers it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment