Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Light Of Grace

In every darkness/evil/deception/judgment that has presented itself in my life, light/good/truth/mercy has also been revealed. The accuser is present daily - in thoughts and words spoken, by insinuation and innuendo, in attitude, presentation, or intention. In fact, I would go so far as to say accusations are more prevalent in a day than grace.

But occasionally grace manifests and I realize how blind I have been.

Grace and mercy is what I desire for myself but I am often unwilling to extend it. Grace is offensive to me at times, especially when it concerns those with whom I am at odds. I don't necessarily want to cover their imperfections, but I certainly want mine obliterated.

John 1: 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

There is a popular photo of the earth with the moon in the foreground. Viewing it, I am keenly aware of the deep darkness surrounding both heavenly bodies. The earth and moon are visible only by the reflected light of the sun. The planets are not the source of their light.

That is how I see mankind. Though we may reflect the light within us and may even pride ourselves in our understanding of the Light, we are not the source of that light. God's light shines equally on all His creation. The fact that His grace offends me when it shines on my "enemies" in no way reflects His lack of judgment. It only reflects my lack of mercy.

The light shining brightest in my darkness is His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment