Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Mind Of Christ

I watched the coverage of the shooting at Northern Illinois University on television as it unfolded. It was surreal. I recognized the building in which the chaos was taking place. Waves of emotion, fear and concern, flooded my thoughts. This is crazy. Brushing tears aside, suppressing the sorrow welling inside of me, I watched.

I recalled an event not long ago when the school was closed for a day because of threats of violence. I wondered if it was connected. Many students from our community attend NIU. My daughter is commuting there two evenings a week to finish her teaching degree. She was on campus the night before it happened.

Information about the shooter was released fairly quickly, a face to put with the crime. Still surreal. Can't imagine the tragedy though my brain tries to wrap around the descriptions given by the survivors.

I hear people discussing the shooter. In derogatory terms as one would expect. But I have to tell you, I feel no judgment.

Though I wish it had never happened, I am yielded to faith and yes, acceptance.

Classes resume next Monday. I can only imagine how hard it will be on the students as they return.

But this is how I imagine the mind of Christ to be...forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment