Friday, June 5, 2009

Stop Resisting




I am reminded, sometimes daily, that my biggest adversary is also my greatest teacher. Teachers present themselves in a variety of forms - often without their awareness. When I stop resisting by releasing my judgment or self-righteousness and enter into rest, I find I am positioned to consider what God is shaping in my soul.

People and circumstances who challenge me the most are my greatest sanctifiers and teachers of spiritual growth. They carry the burden of routing me toward God. When I have learned what they intend to teach, amazingly they are no longer an adversary but an unexpected friend, a blessing disguised as an enemy.

Matthew 19:30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.
And Matthew 20:8"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.' ...16"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Now I see that this is how God's Spirit uses the adversary to sanctify me, to humble me, to shape me into His likeness. Ultimately, it is all good, all necessary, all grace. There is no judgment from where I am standing.

He is teaching me not to fear the current that pulls me into the deeper waters. His Spirit reminds me daily to stop resisting the tide that carries me from the safety of the shore.

Stop resisting. Enter His rest. Trust Him to do the work He set out to complete in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment